Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my artwork and things that are important to me. Please check out my website at www.maryloudauray.com.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Laughing on the Outside but Crying on the Inside

Today I painted my first self-portrait (based somewhat on the photo that is on this blog!) I know, I am smiling/laughing in this picture...the way I normally like to appear in the world--hey we all need more smiles.  But, in the painting I started and quickly completed this morning, I inserted a big, heavy, dark plastic tear falling from my eye.  The horrible shooting that happened yesterday in Arizona makes me cry--for the deep sadness that the families, the friends, the state, the entire country and the world is experiencing because of this senseless act.
I thought, what can I do?    The only immediate answer was to take brush in hand and paint my inner response.  Here is what I did:
and by the way, if you want to be informed about extreme hate groups in this country, please check out the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Alabama.  (www.splcenter.org)  This organization monitors these groups and is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry.  The center needs all the help you can give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment