Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my artwork and things that are important to me. Please check out my website at www.maryloudauray.com.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Circle

What can a simple circle denote?  


Here is a calligraphic copy of one of venerable Thich Nhat Hanh's circle meditations:

"In Zen Buddhism, an ensō ( , "circle"?) is a circle that is hand-drawn in one or two uninhibited brushstrokes to express a moment when the mind is free to let the body create.  The ensō symbolizes absolute enlightenment, strength, elegance, the universe, and mu (the void). It is characterized by a minimalism born of Japanese aesthetics". (Wikipedia) 
very recently was in Japan and experienced first hand the art and simplicity found in Zen Buddhist monasteries.  I saw circles in many designs, but none so important as in the calligraphic circles drawn by Zen monks.  Interesting to me is that even before visiting Japan, the circle had begun to appear in my art work referencing the consequences of coal burning, mining and transportation.  
Today, as I was speaking with a friend while working on my painting, she mentioned that Thich Nhat Hanh, a beloved Zen Buddhist monk, author, teacher, poet and peace activist is very ill with a brain hemorrhage.  He has been a significant force for peace in the world.  Please offer healing thoughts for him.  

Below is a photo taken of my most recent piece which decries the black holes in mountains destroyed by coal mining.  Let there be peace, healing and regrowth returning to these areas.





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful ML. The whole / circle says so much in it's complete emptiness.

    ReplyDelete