Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my artwork and things that are important to me. Please check out my website at www.maryloudauray.com.

Monday, February 3, 2014

HERSTORY


"Women's Rights" by Mary Lou Dauray, Watercolor, 22" x 15" 

HERSTORY

Menlo College in Atherton, California, put out a call for artists to enter an exhibition honoring the college and coinciding with its founding 85 years ago.   Artists had to be juried in and once chosen the artist was given a randomly assigned year between 1927, the year of Menlo’s founding,  and 2013 to respond in an artistic way to the cultural, historical or personal events of the specified year.  I was selected as one of the artists and given the year 1975.   After much research, I concluded that I would do a painting honoring WOMEN because in 1975 the first International Women’s Conference took place and, in addition,  WOMEN were depicted on the cover of TIME magazine’s 1975 Person of the Year!
The painting referenced a video still taken at that time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment