Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my artwork and things that are important to me. Please check out my website at www.maryloudauray.com.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

From Visits to Hawaii, New York and Montgomery, Alabama

Hawaii Visit
Bird of Paradise 
    Watercolor

During the last two months I have traveled to beautiful Hawaii, exciting New York, and experienced a memorable weekend in Montgomery, Alabama.  I decided to devote this blog to the paintings I did and photographs I took which relate to these three places.  I still continue to work on the paintings which reflect  my concern about global warming and pollution of the ocean (see past blogs).

While in Hawaii I painted three small watercolors (about 5" x 7").  The Bird of Paradise above and the water and tree you see below.  I have always wanted to paint a Bird of Paradise with its strong, intense coloration, so I really enjoyed layering the oranges, blues and purples while doing this beautiful flower.

Water on the Rocks 
Watercolor

This water scene was my first attempt to try to capture the feeling of  bright white spray surging up against the dark lava rocks in Hawaii.  Maybe someday I will try a more abstract version of the scene!


My Favorite Tree 
Watercolor

And, last but not least, the tree you can see in the painting is my favorite tree in all of Hawaii.  A natural umbrella,  I feel protected walking under it while being graced with the sweet aroma of hundreds of flowers decorating the leaf-filled branches.

New York City Visit

"Nut"

The hightlight of my New York visit was experiencing a Modern Garage Movement dance performance, "Nut"  at the Kitchen.   Please check out www.moderngaragemovement.com to learn more about the exciting work the group is doing.  This photo of the stage was taken with my iphone which now captures shots with a distinct blur.  I spilled some turpentine on the phone and consequently all the photos have a smudged look to them...rather interesting, nevertheless.


Montgomery, Alabama Visit


"until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream" 
words by the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.
fountain by Maya Lin




Rosa Parks Bus Boycott Plaque

These two pictures were taken in Montgomery, Alabama.  I was fortunate to attend an inspiring celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Southern Poverty Law Center which is one of the most important and effective  centers in the United States, or anywhere for that matter, dedicated to "fighting hate and bigotry and seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society". (from the SPLC newsletter)  The beautiful fountain at the Civil Rights Memorial was designed by Maya Lin.  Please help contribute to this center's most admirable work at www.splcenter.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment