Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my artwork and things that are important to me. Please check out my website at www.maryloudauray.com.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Left Alone

These last few days distractions were more appealing to me than continuing to work on my painting of the lonely flip-flop left alone on a beach in SE Asia.  I am not sure why it is such a major challenge to be creative--to make something out of nothing!?  Seems as though it is so much easier to do familiar tasks:  washing dishes; organizing a drawer; driving someplace, talking on the phone, etc.  Nevertheless, when I finally hunkered down and began to splatter hundreds of drops of oil paint on the paper with my huge brush,  I became energized and forgot about the distractions.
The drops represent the sand but I chose not to cover the entire 55" x 55" piece of paper with these drops as I wanted to leave some mystery lurking on the perimeter of the work.  While painting,  I listened to lots of Leonard Cohen!
I finished the underside of the lone rubber flip-flop and really liked the result.  The colors used were those on my reference photo--blues, greens, yellows, black, brown, white, etc.  I figured all these colors were there because,  despite the fact the flip-flop had been tossed in the seas for what must have been a long time, colorful seaweed and other living organisms attached themselves to the sole and went on a journey with this piece of deserted trash.  My imagination went along for the ride!
At the point that I stopped working in order for the oil paint to dry,  I stepped back and ruefully noticed that the entire design on this large piece of paper seemed non-eventful.  My eye went only to the flipflop--and that was it!  Nothing more--something was missing--something was lacking.
My next blog will show you what I did to help allay the feeling of emptiness and aloneness.  For now, here are two photos of what I did recently.

Here is the full painting at this point:


Here is a close-up of the bottom of the flip-flop!


1 comment: